OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2014

From:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Oct 2014 13:19:27 -0400
All,

Two Le Conte's together along a mixed margin of short weels, ankle
length sedge type grasses and along one of the mowed areas.  Typically
avoids high stuff and when one flies usually seeks a low point (where
it may work inconspicuously higher).  Often dips in near base of low
shrubs.  By scanning the base of a shrub it can often be found sitting
near base, an inch or two off ground.  There may be several here (it
would take teams of people to work it thoroughly) and they could be
anywhere.   Nelson's prefer the tall cattails/grasses (it was in the
cattails along the path toward Teal).  When the WP trail divids (left
to Teal, right to Harrier), we went NE through tall reeds and shrubs
into areas where the grass is varied, short, with multiple margins.
This is where we found the LESP.

Canada Goose 100
Gadwall 25
AMWI  20
Mallard  150
Blue winged Teal  100
NOSH  75
GWTE  350
Ruddy Duck  3
American Bittern  1
NOHA  9 (incl. 2 ad m.)
RSHA  4
RTHA  8 (juv)
KING RAIL  1 calling for a few minutes very close, in dense cattails, east pond
VARA  4
Wilson's Snipe  5
Blue Jay
Brown Creeper  12