OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2014

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Oct 2014 22:03:23 -0400
Greetings!

Below are summaries of my trip to Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area.  My
surprises of the days were the Marbled Godwit at pond 27.  I had seen it
last month...and it is STILL THERE! :-) And spotting an American Bittern
before it spotted me at pond 3...to far away for pictures though.
Disappointment...no loons yet. :-(
 As far as conditions go, most ponds are showing a lot of uncovered
islands...or in pond 27's case, almost completely dry/muddy.  There is a
lot of turnover in species going on.  Shorebirds, though still present are
few unless we are talking about Killdeer.  Ducks are starting to trickle
in.  Coots are like their own little islands in places.

I also swung by Big Island...lots of hunting going on there all over the
place...wear orange...The ponds along LaRue Prospect are holding a little
of everything...except Coots and Pied-billed Grebes...LOTS of those. :-)
Shorebirds are still present in the East pond of the three ponds.  Along
with a few ducks.  The middle pond held all the Coots and Grebes.  The west
pond was lacking in visible activity...but there was a lot of hunting going
on in there.

Just realized...we are less that a month away from Short-eared Owls!
Yay!..I usually will see them at Big Island around Thanksgiving.

If you are looking for some fun activities to do in the upcoming months,
the Birding Ohio Scavenger Hunt "Calender" is still in my Dropbox.  It has
been suggested that if you are a part time birder...meaning you still have
a full time job, that maybe 60-70 is a good number to shoot for.  The kids
will be going for the top 50 for Marion County...
Anyhew, you can download it below.  Enjoy!:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3220c8dw2w6czwu/Ohio%20Scavenger%20Hunt%202014-2015.pdf?dl=0

Happy Birding and God Bless!

Steve J.

Bird Summaries:

Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area--Reservoir, Wyandot, US-OH
Oct 25, 2014 11:07 AM - 11:27 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     NO LOONS! :-(
7 species

Canada Goose  25
Mallard  10
Ruddy Duck  25
Red-headed Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  2
Red-winged Blackbird  300
American Goldfinch  5

View this checklist online at

Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area--Harold Roe Wetland, Wyandot, US-OH
Oct 25, 2014 11:40 AM - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     Submitted from  BirdLog NA for Android v1.9.6
16 species

Canada Goose  20
Mallard  10
Ruddy Duck  2
Pied-billed Grebe  4
Great Blue Heron  1
Turkey Vulture  2
Northern Harrier  1
Bald Eagle  1
American Coot  10
Killdeer  20
Lesser Yellowlegs  1
Long-billed Dowitcher  4
Mourning Dove  2
American Kestrel  1
Blue Jay  1
American Crow  2

View this checklist online at

Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area, Wyandot, US-OH
Oct 25, 2014 10:56 AM - 11:58 AM
Protocol: Traveling
10.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Observations made while driving between hotspots. Submitted
from  BirdLog NA for Android v1.9.6
28 species

Great Blue Heron  2
Turkey Vulture  3
Red-tailed Hawk  2
Mourning Dove  2
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-headed Woodpecker  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  2
American Kestrel  1
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  4
Horned Lark  2
Black-capped Chickadee  1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  2
European Starling  30
Song Sparrow  2
Swamp Sparrow  1
White-throated Sparrow  1
White-crowned Sparrow  2
Dark-eyed Junco  3
Northern Cardinal  2
Red-winged Blackbird  200
Eastern Meadowlark  2
Brown-headed Cowbird  30
Pine Siskin  2
American Goldfinch  5

View this checklist online at

Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area--Pond 3, Wyandot, US-OH
Oct 25, 2014 12:30 PM - 12:42 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     Submitted from  BirdLog NA for Android v1.9.6
6 species

Mallard  3
Ruddy Duck  4
Pied-billed Grebe  20
American Bittern  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Belted Kingfisher  1

View this checklist online at

Marseilles, T-108, Wyandot, US-OH
Oct 25, 2014 12:40 PM - 12:50 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     Submitted from  BirdLog NA for Android v1.9.6
8 species

Canada Goose  2
American Black Duck  6
Mallard  4