OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2014

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 2014 20:58:22 -0400
I spent a few free hours this morning at these two sites looking for migrant waterfowl, raptors, and lingering landbirds.  I was not able to find the Black Scoters found by Steve Landes at Alum creek, but did not do an exhaustive survey of the lower reservoir.  I focused on the dam & New Galena areas at Alum, and the dam area at Hoover, and had a mix of waterbirds & late landbirds.  Included among the totals were

Grebes - the flock of Horneds at alum Creek lake had swelled to 27 by 10:30.  Lower Hoover had only 2 Pied-billed
Coots - the flock of 200 was still out in the middle of Alum Creek Lake above the dam
Ducks - hardly anything other than a few Mallards at either site (whic is expected at Alum, but Hoover isn't hunted)
Gulls - small #s of Bonaparte's at each site (15 at Alum, 6 at Hoover), along with the expected Ring-bills
Vultures - good numbers, with 85 at Hoover dam and another 25 at Alum Creek Lake dam, all Turkey Vultures
Blue Jays - still some movement, with 10 at Hoover Dam and 15 at Alum Creek Lake Dam
Kinglets - not many, with only a few of each species at both sites.  Their peak appears to have passed here.
E.Bluebirds - flyovers at each site (2 at Hoover dam, 3 at New Galena); their numbers should pick up in the next 2 weeks
Warblers - all Yellow-rumps, and not many at each site (5 at Hoover, 4 at Alum)
Sparrows - flocks of White-throats at both sites.  Hoover had 5 Chipping, while Alum had a Fox Sparrow at New Galena
Winter Finches - New Galena at Alum Lake had a Purple Finch, while Hoover dam had a flyover Pine Siskin