OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2014

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2014 15:28:49 -0400
I hit these 2 wooded parks east of Columbus looking for migrants, while trying to stay out of the wind and the hail.  Despite the blustery weather, both parks had some small mixed migrant flocks.  Highlights included:

Barred Owls - single adults were hunting in the forests of both parks
White-eyed Vireo - 1 was singing along the Multi-use Trail at Blacklick
Tree Swallows - a small flock of 10-12 was flying around the meadows south of the Blacklick Nature Center
Winter Wrens - good fallout, with 2 at Gahanna Woods and 3 at Blacklick Woods
Ruby-cr.Kinglets - 1-2 were at each park
Warblers - very similar lists at each park, topped by Black-thr.Greens (3 at GW, 6 at BW), but also including Nashville, Magnolia, Yellow-rumped, Redstart, and Ovenbird
Sparrows - no big numbers, but did have Chipping, Song, and White-throats at both parks