OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2014

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2014 18:40:30 -0700
I was at Villa Angela/Wildwood Parks (Euclid Creek Reservation) at E. 174th & Lakeshore Blvd. on Lake Erie today from 10:50am til 4pm.  It was chilly and I was dressed for winter.  The strong west-southwest winds looked like a norwester on the lake.  Except for a few sprinkles around 3:15 it was dry most of the day.  In Villa Angela most of the activity was in the center part of the park away from the lake west of the grassy knoll area.  There was more activity than I have seen here lately.  I noticed a few birds when I arrived but I looked up by the lake where I found nothing and I returned to the center area and then started seeing many birds parading through in a group and then they would appear to disappear.  They would still be around but would not be as visible at times.  In Wildwood I was seeing a bit of activity along the plantings on the east side of the entrance road especially Yellow-rumps.  From the west side of the marina parking lot you
 could see more Yellow-rumps along Euclid Creek flying across the creek later in the day.  White-throated Sparrows were more noticable in Wildwood down by the creek down from the bridge.  Here are some of the birds I saw:

Black-crowned Night-Heron 1 subadult
Peregrine Falcon 1 -  perched in partially dead/alive willow in southeast corner of new wetland seen after 3pm harassed by Blue Jays as it would fly out and return.  It then flew around twice and then left.
Blue-headed Vireo 1
Winter Wrens 5
Golden-crowned Kinglets 9, Ruby-crowned Kinglets 11
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers 3
Hermit Thrush 1, Swainson's Thrush 1

Warblers (15 species)
Orange-crowned 1 (high up in tree in Wildwood along plantings east side of road-can't believe I got picture of it - haven't found any birds in the goldenrod lately.
Nashville 3
Northern Parula 1
Magnolia 3
Cape May 1
Black-throated Blue 1 F
Yellow-rumped  25+
Black-throated Green 3
Blackburnian 1
Palm 2
Bay-breasted  3
Blackpoll 1
American Redstart 6
Common Yellowthroat 1
Wilson's 1

White-throated Sparrows 30-35

The tree in southeast corner of wetland near the maintenance area I have now seen two adult Bald Eagles this spring, an Osprey in late summer and today a Peregrine Falcon.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Heights
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/