OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2014

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2014 16:25:42 -0400
Jeff Harvey and I visited The Erie Street Cemetery this morning, Tuesday, from about 8:30AM to 10:00AM. The weather was windy with a temperature of fifty-five degrees. Our first thirty minutes  of birding was slow. Then the windy conditions dissipated, and  the visiting migrants began to pop out of the trees and bushes. Our #1 sighting was excellent views of the previously reported Clay-colored Sparrow, on the ground and low in the tree. #2 was a surprising somewhat cooperative Fox Sparrow. Some of the other nifty birds present were: Lincoln's Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Ovenbird, Common Yellowthroat, and a Magnolia Warbler, just to name a few. In an hour and a half, Carlton Schooley of Tuscarawas County, was the only other birder we had the opportunity to share the sightings with. On a belated note; when my wife Denise and I were at this location this past Sunday afternoon, we watched a Cooper's Hawk, one after another, dine on two individual Northern Flickers, appearing to not care that we were there. This Cuyahoga County jewel of a birding site, is just to the east across East 9th Street from Jacobs/Progressive Field. The birds are on the north side of the cemetery drive, back by the wall, behind the mausoleum that is about halfway along the drive.

Bob Lane / Mahoning County