OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2014

From:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2014 17:13:44 -0400
Despite the gusty winds, Mentor Headlands was a very good place to go this morning at about 11 am as long as you didn’t mind the blowing sand stinging your face. The trees and bushes along the breakwall were full of warblers. I saw mostly yellow-rumped. I also surprised three snipe along the way.

When I got out to where the sand meets the breakwall I was able to watch 12 Sanderlings probing along the wet sand. I sat on some driftwood and they came quite close.  (Thanks to birder Gus who gave me an ID for my Sanderling photos and patiently listened to me blab about them.)

I also hiked part of the Zimmerman Trail. There were four pied-billed grebes in Shipman Pond. There were a lot of thrushes and some warblers along the trail.

Later on after lunch I went Wake Robin. I didn’t see any rare sparrows. But, I did have a close encounter with a Northern Harrier. As I was walking past the pond towards the parking lot, it flew up out of the reeds. It then did a low circle over the pond and flew along the boardwalk before heading out towards the west. What a cool bird! Dish-like face, curved wings, long tail...It didn't have any problem with the winds.

Ken