OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2014

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2014 15:58:34 -0400
I apologize for mistakes I made this morning in my post about late
hummingbirds, and thank the folks who sent me better information! I also
found other stuff by nosing around in records I no longer have to
scrutinize with care since I no longer do the Cardinal. Here are the
corrections:

I tried to rely on memory for the late date of ruby-throat in Ohio, but
the Toledo bird was 5 December, not 1 December. I also find in mail I
exchanged with Allen Chartier that an even later record for Ohio comes
from Cincinnati on 12/8/1988!
A gob of later rufous hummers showed up, too, led by 2/1/13 in
Circleville, and 2/4/2013 in Greene County. It's possible that rufous
hummers heading back to their western breeding grounds might pass
through Ohio in March, I hear, but likely would not be reported: hardly
anyone puts up feeders that early in these parts!
Thanks to everyone who helped with the dates,
Bill Whan
Columbus