OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2014

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 2014 14:32:44 -0400
We finally seem to be getting a big push of temperate migrants in central Ohio.  I stopped at several spots around Battelle-Darby (Kuhlwein wetland, Trail of Ancients, Cedar Ridge) and a few nearby areas (Clover Wetlands, Prairie Lincoln School Woods) and had good numbers of temperate migrants at almost every stop.  I also had a decent showing of raptors that I'll detail in another post.  The list included

Blue Jays - small flocks in many places; i counted 20 fly by the Darby Confluence in 30 minutes
Blue-headed Vireo - singles at Prairie Lincoln and Cedar Ridge
Winter Wrens - singles at Prairie Lincoln and Trail of Ancients
Kinglets - both types at nearly every stop, though never in big #s
E.Bluebirds - small flocks at many areas, even flyovers
HermitThrush - singles at PrairieLincoln and Cedar Ridge; Trial of Ancients had 2
Robins - steady flocks for much of morning
CedarWaxwings - small flocks in many locations
AmerPipit - a flyover at Georgesville
Yellow-rumps - sizeable flocks at many locations, topped by 40 at Cedar Ridge
Palm Warblers - singles were at Prairie Lincoln, Clover Wetlands, and Trail of Ancients
OtherWarblers - a Cape May was at Prairie Lincoln, while Trail of Ancients had a Bl.thr.Green and a Com.Yellowthroat
SwampSparrows - at many stops, with the best being 10 at Kuhlwein Wetlands
Lincoln'c Sparrows - 2 were at Kuhlwein wetlands
White-crowned Sparrows - 3 were at Kuhlwein, while 1 was at Clover wetlands
White-throated Sparrows - small flocks at many locations, topped by 40 along the Trail of Ancients
RedwingBlackbirds - small flocks flying south for much of the morning
Pine Siskin - 1 flyover at Trail of Ancients