OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2014

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 2014 10:34:07 -0400
I realize that yesterday is too long ago among these announcements, but
folks who weren't there might be interested in our most recent major
influx of Franklin's gulls, in the fall of 1998, when around 400 were
reported when far fewer reporters were around, even though a higher
proportion found birds on their own.
        As far as we can tell, weather--mainly storms and prevailing
winds--makes for such influxes. Franklin's gulls are a prairie wetland
species that doesn't visit oceans much outside the winter season, when
it heads to central and south America along the Pacific. In its fall
dispersals here, it has become just as--and probably more--happy along
inland lake shores as on the shores of the Great Lakes.
        1998's influx followed a major low-pressure system in mid-November, a
full month after 2014's visits; only a handful had been reported in
October '98. That November, it was easiest to find these gulls among
flocks of ring-bills gathering to pluck worms and insects behind plows
on rural fields; this was so consistent that some of us made it a point
to look for ag machinery and scrutinize inland feeding flocks for this
species. That fall, over ten days at Lakeshore Park, 111 were tallied,
while inland at Killdeer as many as 85 at once were seen in fields, and
54 near Toledo. Many Franklin's were seen on the shores and pools of
inland reservoirs, and just as many were noticed following plows, for a
total of more than 400. These were pretty good numbers for a state
decidedly outside this gull's migratory route.
        I recall my first look at breeding Franklin's gulls. My brother and I
were wandering the plains of Colorado in May, looking for birds. I
called for a screeching halt along a lonely road, calling out "Ross's
gulls! Ross's gulls!" Stupid, sure. In a prairie several hundred yards
out was a pothole, and it was easy to see pink-breasted gulls out there
among the phragmites. More careful scrutiny of course revealed they were
Franklin's, in the full flush of their breeding finery. You don't see
this plumage in the field guides very often, or of course in Ohio, but
for a couple of weeks a year--out west--it can be stunningly obvious.
I've seen a couple of pinkish Bonaparte's gulls since then, in fall, but
nothing like these Franklin's, or should I call then Pranklin's?
Bill Whan
Columbus