OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2014

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 2014 20:44:47 -0400
Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.comSince last week there has been a big influx of sparrows all over the Deer Creek area. Starting in the SW corner of the wetlands this morning were large numbers of Song, Savannah, Lincoln's, and Swamp Sparrows joined by 2 Nelson's Sparrows in the dried pond near the New Holland entrance. Afterwards I walked a bit around the marsh area at the edges of the cattails but found little else. Fields in the north part of the wildlife north of the reservoir also held large numbers of sparrows with additional species including White-crowned, Fox, and Vesper Sparrows. I had 13 sparrows species there today, but no LeConte's yet. Last year I saw my first LeConte;s on Oct. 28 there, so there is still plenty of time.

Henslow's are still present and singing some years well into October, but I saw the last of them 2 weeks ago. The last of the Bobolinks also seem to have departed 2 weeks ago. Bobolinks first began flocking in the southern grasslands in early August, reaching a max. of about 300 individuals during the first week of September then gradually disappeared by early Oct.

The reservoir is now being drawn down and good shorebird habitat is finally available at the N end. This evening a large number of Killdeers, both yellowlegs and a few Wilson's Snipe were utilizing the habitat. Additional shorebird species were seen at the north pond along Dick Road including about a half dozen Pectoral Sandpipers, and 2 each of Dunlins and Stilt Sandpipers.

Yes, gulls were roosting on the beach, but a larger gull roost is now on the west side of the reservoir between the marina and boat launch area. Besides the usual Ring-billed and Herring Gulls, Bonaparte's Gulls have just begun to arrive in small numbers. There were also 2 Caspian Tern mixed in with the west side roost. I haven't seen any Franklin's Gulls in about 2 weeks at Deer Creek, but winds were coming from the east much of that time. With winds now coming from the the more usual NW for this time of year hopefully more Franklin's will show up in coming weeks.

What I consider horrible news for birders and anyone who cares to know what birds are in the reservoir, the state park has closed the road that runs along the south side of the reservoir west of the beach already for the winter apparently. That means that there is no way to view anything between the beach and the SW corner of the reservoir until late spring unless something changes. That is a huge area containing the deepest water of the reservoir and is usually the last area to freeze up in the winter. This means that there is now no way to view this area from the bluffs by the picnic areas for the major passages of ducks, loons, grebes, and gulls during both the fall and spring migrations as well as in mid-winter. I would hope that everyone who visits Deer Creek during weekdays to go to the state park office and complain about this. If you feel like yelling, screaming, and throwing furniture you certainly have my blessing. As soon as I can come up an address of where we can write to voice our concerns I will post it here.

Although the water level is still high at the marina, that area too is already gated off. The only Red Phalarope record I have for Deer Creek was during early November a few years ago in the marina (from the comfort of my car window I should add). It is only a short walk from the gate to view the inside of the marine, but it is worth a look in there during the next month or so and the water level recedes.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com