OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2014

From:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2014 09:43:27 -0500
If you can’t get out to bird because of the weather, you can read about birds/birding online. The Toledo Art Museum had an exhibition this past spring during “The Biggest Week in American Birding”. They have a catalog of the exhibition online for viewing:

http://www.toledomuseum.org/exhibitions/online-catalogues/in-fine-feather-birds-art-science/

I have been exchanging some emails with someone at the museum. She told me that they run a special exhibit that is related to birds every two years. They run bird-related programs on the off years. If you know something about how birding and bird research developed in America, or if you have read the book by Scott Weidensaul titled “Of a Feather: a Brief History of American Birding”, you will recognize some of the names in the exhibit. I was told that this book was used to help build the exhibit.

The museum also talked with Kenn Kaufman when they were preparing for the exhibit. The museum recorded some videos of Kenn talking about the importance of Roger Tory Peterson. Here is the link to those videos:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6brwo59qK41gspKo-oahh7kQpgqRo9mG

If you do get the chance to go to NW Ohio to bird in the spring, keep the museum in mind in case it (gasp!) rains one day. They have a world-class collection.

Now, if you will excuse me, I want to go look online at that 2015 Charley Harper engagement calendar. It has a red-headed woodpecker on the front cover.