OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2014

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2014 18:34:48 -0500
I spent this morning (and part of yesterday afternoon) scouting spots along Alum Creek for the Columbus & Hoover CBCs.  After the ice had melted, I stopped at Mock Park, Innis Park, and Tanager Woods, while yesterday I visited Heritage Park in Westerville.  Each of these represents a 'bulge' of forest along the Alum Greenbelt, and they often attract late migrants & strays.  Lots of birds were out as the ice was melting and the temperatures rising, including

Red-tailed Hawks - 6+, on a stretch where 2-3 are the norm.  Probably driven 'in-town' by the snowfall & ice.
Flickers - 2-4 at every park, so they also were likely driven south
Cedar Waxwings - small flocks at many locations, implying a late movement of these fruit eaters.
Yellow-rumped Warblers - flocks in several spots, usually around poison ivy.  These are classic late-migrants here
Fox Sparrows - singles at Mock, Innis, and Heritage, so they're all around.  My records often show them as common in November, so the early snowfall has probably pushed these late migrants to feeders.
PineSiskin - 1 flyover at Innis Park.  These irruptors are having a good Fall.