OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2014

From:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2014 20:28:29 -0500
Short eared Owl, 2 present, but not for long, east side WP about at
5:45 PM, as seen from the "grassy knoll" at the WP parking.  We met
another birder (sorry, I forgot your name) out to see one or two (or
more).  These birds were a long ways off (looking E across the
wetlands all the way to the next tree line), flying against the last
washes of pink low in the eastern sky.  I believe these, and most of
the recent appearances, probably migrants.  These two birds, at least,
were high flying, staying above 70 - 100 ft., flying in long loops,
above the treeline.  We stayed until after dark but didn't see them or
others again.

Incidentally, when several or more are around, if being very quiet,
their soft "bach" usually in a series can often be heard.  Now that
its the end of NOV wintering birds should be in and it should be
possible to get excellent views and sometimes photographs.

Good birding
--
Patty and David Tan
Columbus