OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2014

From:
Dave Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2014 19:54:39 -0500
Looks like that was a private email not sent to the list?  Isn't it kind of inappropriate to make a personal email public?

But while we're on the subject...

I understand and share Robert's frustration. One thing to think about, a wildlife photographer or videographer knows how to carefully approach wildlife.  You don't get any images or video by flushing and scaring things off.  To capture good images, the subject has to be comfortable with the presence of the photographer. Most of us are not just looking to shoot the subject, but instead to capture it in a natural setting with the right background, etc. We're not rushing in there just to get a shot.

So when you see somebody rushing up to a bird with an IPhone to take a snapshot, it's more likely an unethical birder, and not a photographer!

I've already voiced my thoughts on the subject a few times on the list, no sense beating a dead horse.  These threads tend to go nowhere.

Dave Watkins