OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2014

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2014 17:54:35 -0500
I stopped at the southern end of Alum Creek Lake (southern Delaware County) yesterday morning and this afternoon, and found the last vestiges of landbird migration and a rising tide of migrant waterbirds.  Yesterday I spent a bit under an hour at New Galena boat launch (southeast corner) and this afternoon visited the beach & Visitor's Center area (southwest corner).  Both days were cold & a bit windy, so that I couldn't easily see across the lake.  Highlights included:

Long-tailed Duck - 1 bird was between the beach and the dam today
Ruddy Ducks - 8 were fly-bys yesterday, while more were out on the Lake this afternoon.
Common Loons - at least 12 were off the beach, and there may have been more further out that I couldn't see
Horned Grebes - at least 6 were off the beach today
Bonaparte's Gulls - fair numbers out on the water on both days, numbering between 70-80
Big Gulls - at least 40 Herring were on or just off the beach this evening; no obvious rarities mixed with them, but the numbers were changing all the time, and quite a few were far out on the lake

Raptors - no obvious movement, but did have a Sharpie yesterday and a Cooper's today
Woodpeckers - no obvious migrant besides Flickers, which had small #s (3-4) both days
Brown Creepers - at least 3 had stranded at New Galena yesterday
Golden-cr.Kinglets - 2-3 were at New Galena yesterday
E.Bluebirds - big movement yesterday, with 14 in the 45 minutes I was at New Galena
Water Pipits - at least 2 were flyovers at New Galena yesterday
Tree Sparrows - 4 were in the scrub near the Visitor's Center today
Field Sparrows - 3 were n the scrub near the Visitor's Center
Chipping Sparrows - 3 were hanging around the New Galena boat launch area yesterday
Fox Sparrows - at least 2 were in the scrubby trails north of the New Galena boat launch yesterday; 1 was even singing
Juncos - small flocks at several locations
Redwing Blackbirds - had a flock of 40 heading south over New Galena
Purple Finch - 1 was in the scrub north of the New Galena boat launch yesterday