OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2014

From:
Melanie Shuter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melanie Shuter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2014 13:47:15 -0500
A first winter Franklin's Gull was at the dam today around noon.  Best
vantage is at the Corps of Engineer's Visitor Center.  Walk out on the
dam.  It was near the shoreline below the visitor center.

Bonaparte's Gull in large numbers everywhere on the lake, a few Ring-billed
and Herring seen.  A few Killdeer and Dunlins in the upper reaches of the
lake (Miller Road Picnic area).  Lots of Hooded Mergansers today (I counted
53 in one raft), Pied-billed and Horned Grebes, Ruddy Ducks, only 6 Common
Loons seen. 14 Great Blue Herons seen together.  Saw a few Gadwall,
Mallards, and Scaup.  30 Am. Coots were at the dam.

A mature Bald Eagle cruised above the beach and a Peregrine Falcon was
perched in the trees at the end of Park Road #4 which overlooks the dam.  4
crows watched it warily and one made a feeble attempt to rout it. I was
able to sit in my car and watch.

Good news - There was no blockade of Park Road 5.  The barrier has been
totally removed.

Melanie Shuter
Circleville - Pickaway County