OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2014

From:
James Wheat <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Wheat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2014 23:22:28 -0400
As the day began at the beach in Caesar Creek SP, I joined the Cincinnati
Bird Club for a day of birding at the park, in a light snow.

Best bird was a Snow Bunting that was on the beach near the edge of the
grass. It flushed once but then hunkered down in the wind and snow
flurries, affording all of us great looks. It was still there an hour or so
later when we came back from scoping the water.

Another good bird was a Winter Wren in the rocks near the Furnas Shore Boat
Ramp. It skulked in the rocks but kept chipping so we knew it was there. At
least a couple of us got good looks at the bird.

I tallied 50 birds today, but the collective group saw more than I did.
Heat shimmer from the surface of the water, wind shake on the scopes, the
frigid temperatures, choppy waters, and the distance of a few rafts of
ducks made identification quite a challenge. Some of us got American
Wigeon, for example, but I couldn't find it. I was able to see Bufflehead,
Black Duck, and Ruddy Duck.

James A. Wheat
Newport KY