OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2014

From:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 2014 17:17:36 -0500
Ken Ostermiller reported this morning that the avocet was still at the
drained peat ponds on Wilderness Rd at Funk. I arrived there about 2pm and
it was still there. Su Snyder says it has been there three days now. It is
in non-breeding plumage. There was a sanderling there as well, but nothing
else on the peat ponds. In the large agricultural field south of Wilderness
Rd, there were about 100 sandhill cranes.

Shreve Lake has been drawn down by the DNR and the edges are now good
shorebird habitat. There were a few killdeer and two greater yellowlegs. A
white-throated sparrow was calling in the brush beside the lake.

I stopped at the large pond along Cemetery Rd. Just 50-ft from the road in
some wet areas were 7 pectoral sandpipers, 12 dunlin and several killdeer.
In the water among the emergent vegetation were massive numbers of coots
and over 25 green-winged teal.

My last stop was Shreve Fish Pond on hwy 226 near Wright Marsh of the
Killbuck WA. The pond is nearly dry, but there were five pipits there
foraging in the wet soil.

It was a pleasant, sunny afternoon to be afield.   Randy Rowe, Wooster