OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2014

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2014 14:12:32 -0500
Yesterday morning as we were getting ready to leave Kelleys Island we
found numerous flocks of Lapland Longspurs, Snow Buntings, Horned
Larks, and American Pipits along the south shore.  Most of these were
feeding along the shoreline or in grassy areas/fields.  There was a
20-30 mile an hour wind coming from the SW and then the W but many of
these birds were flying out over the lake headed to Marblehead.  We
observed some making to Marblehead as we landed later in the
afternoon.  It is amazing to see these small birds flying less than a
foot above the water, into a strong wind, headed south out over the
lake.

Tom

--
H. Thomas Bartlett