OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2014

From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2014 20:40:09 -0500
Following Ken Andrews report of Raptors in Cuyahoga County, if you are out
our way there are hawks and eagles available for easy viewing.

LaDue Reservoir is mostly frozen but a little water is open near the dam on
the east side of the lake.  This morning two adult Bald Eagles were perched
near that open water looking at about 100 Coots concentrated in a small area
of open water.  (I have seen Eagles take Coots out at Metzger Marsh near
Toledo).  Closer to Rt 422 was an immature Eagle perched near the boathouse.

At Hayes Road (east of Middlefield) there were 3 Rough-legged Hawks (1 light
and 2 dark) and an immature Bald Eagle.  Two Red-tailed Hawks completed the
raptor count out there.

Red-tailed hawks and Kestrels can be seen when driving most of the roads
around Middlefield.

Matt Valencic

Geauga County