OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2014

From:
Dillon Nott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dillon Nott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Dec 2014 14:06:24 -0800
As I also put up my Kestrel box today, 11 ft high in a black oak facing a
huge field. With Christmas, my grandma and I have a total of 1 Northern Saw
Whet Box
1 Eastern Screech Box
1 Kestrel Box
2 Barn Owl Box
1 Barred owl box
High hopes for the nesting season!

On the other note, I went under a group of 10 pine trees and found a
outstanding total of 12 owl pellets!

Most of them were small, guessing that it was the pellets of a SawWhet Owl,
because of the conifers, and the pond in front of them provides a great
spot for them. The pines are also surrounded by farm land, then farm land
surrounded by forests/woods. Then some of the pellets were a bit larger,
again since its a conifer area with more woods, these could be Barred/Long
Earred owl pellets.

2 of the 12 pellets had almost all feathers, one was a House sparrow, the
other was a blackbird or woodpecker. The other 10 pellets had small
mammals. After picking through the pellets, most had small mammal skulls
with red teeth. As I researched, these were Red Toothed Shrews. After these
examinations, I'm guessing that Saw Whet Owls are favoring these Red
Toothed Shrews. All 10 had Red Toothed Shrews in them, but 1. It had a
small mammal skull, probably a mouse. I'm going to put up my saw whet owl
box tomorrow in one of those pines, and have high hopes for a rare nester!
I've only put up my Screech owl box and my Kestrel box up so far, saw Whet
owl box tomorrow, both Barn Owl boxes in a Week or Month, then the Barred
Owl box is only 1/2 made.

Merry Christmas Every Too! :D