OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2014

From:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 2014 20:09:44 -0500
On Sunday, December 28th, the 68th Cincinnati Christmas Bird Count was conducted. What follows are the results from the field portion of the count only and does not include the results from feeder watchers which will hopefully be totaled in the next few days. While feeder numbers will certainly increase the numbers of several common species, it is possible that we could still add a species are two by the time all the feeders’ results are in.

For the most part, overnight rain had ended before we took to the field in the AM. Temperatures ranging from 35 to 40 degrees, 4 mph wind, cloudy skies and a dry day provided decent Christmas count weather. We had a very good turnout of 118 participants, 110 in the field and 8 at feeders. We only managed to find 87 species which was down from last year’s 93 (and our 3rd highest) and also down from our ten year average of 90 species. Our all time high is 95 species set in 2012. Those of you who attended the tally will note that our standing total of 87 species is one more than the 86 we ended the tally with. This was because one of our feeder counters reported 2 Common Goldeneye seen on a Condominium pond after the tally concluded.

Our highlights included 16 species of waterfowl (anatidae) including a Cackling Goose. Other good finds included; 15 Northern Bobwhite, 2 Common Loons, 10 Bald Eagles, 2 Peregrine Falcons, 3 Merlin’s, 6 Herring Gulls, 2 Short-eared Owls, 10 Red-headed Woodpeckers, Eastern Phoebe, 4 Chipping Sparrows, 6 Purple Finches and 3 Pine Siskins.

The total list (87 species as it stands):
Cackling Goose 1, Canada Goose 1359, Wood Duck 7, Gadwall 27, American Wigeon 25, American Black Duck 13, Mallard 593, Northern Shoveler 21, Northern Pintail 1, Green-winged Teal 1, Redhead 14, Ring-necked Duck 23, Bufflehead 22, Common Goldeneye 2, Hooded Merganser 123, Ruddy Duck 3, Wild Turkey 4, Northern Bobwhite 15, Common Loon 2* (tied count high), Pied-billed Grebe 12, Great Blue Heron 14, Black Vulture 63, Turkey Vulture 6, Bald Eagle 10*(count high), Northern Harrier 2, Sharp-shinned Hawk 4, Cooper’s Hawk 22, Red-shouldered Hawk 31, Red-tailed Hawk 55, buteo species 2, American Kestrel 7, Merlin 3* (count high), Peregrine Falcon 2, American Coot 98, Ring-billed Gull 12, Herring Gull 6, Rock Pigeon 751, Mourning Dove 690, Eastern Screech-Owl 5, Great Horned Owl 12, Barred Owl 3, Short-eared Owl 2, Belted Kingfisher 22, Red-headed Woodpecker 10, Red-bellied Woodpecker 322, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 19, Downy Woodpecker 341, Hairy Woodpecker 58, Northern Flicker 112, Pileated Woodpecker 48, Eastern Phoebe 1, Blue Jay 552, American Crow 810, Horned Lark 32, Carolina Chickadee 1418, Tufted Titmouse 615, White-breasted Nuthatch 215, Brown Creeper 17, Carolina Wren 367, Winter Wren 4, Golden-crowned Kinglet 15, Ruby-crowned Kinglet 5, Eastern Bluebird 90, Hermit Thrush 4, American Robin 5176, Northern Mockingbird 110, European Starling 42036, Cedar Waxwing 31, Yellow-rumped Warbler 65, Eastern Towhee 105, American Tree Sparrow 240, Chipping Sparrow 4, Field Sparrow 81, Savannah Sparrow 1, Fox Sparrow 8, Song Sparrow 535, Swamp Sparrow 32, White-throated Sparrow 690, White-crowned Sparrow 124, Dark-eyed Junco 415, Northern Cardinal 1550, Red-winged Blackbird 130, Eastern Meadowlark 9, Purple Finch 6, House Finch 473, Pine Siskin 3, American Goldfinch 412, House Sparrow 877.

Notable misses: Mute Swan (6 of last 8), Canvasback (9 of last 10), Lesser Scaup (8 of last 10), Greater Scaup (5 of last 7), Killdeer (65 of prior 67), Red-breasted Nuthatch (59 of 67), Brown Thrasher (6 of last 10), Rusty Blackbird (last 5 years), Common Grackle (59 of prior 67), Brown-headed Cowbird (54 of prior 67).

Thanks to everyone who participated and contributed to the success of this count.

Jay Stenger