OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2014

Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2014 10:34:17 -0500
Morning all,

Had a chance to visit Pick Ponds twice last week and found this American Kestrel female hunting near the restroom on the NW side of the Park.  I know this looks like I was crowding her, however my Christmas gift of a new Tamron 150/600mm lens allowed these images.  I estimate that my distance at shots was at least 25’ and height of AK was 13’  It took me at least 20 minutes moving a couple of feet at a time letting it get comfortable with my movements.  Wind was rather strong so mainly I was at her back.   All of a sudden she was gone and when I looked up a soaring young Red Tail showed up.  It’s my understanding, as competitors they might not like each other very much.

Later, I managed to get some images of a Northern Harrier but at such great distance they were not very good.  I did watch it apparently feasting on what appeared to be a duck on a reed bed near the duck blind.  More than once I noticed a flash of white, so I can only assume.  On Friday I saw him with a rabbit and the distance was too great to post some of the images plus it was somewhat gruesome for posting.

According to Park Manager as of Friday they are still seeing the Sandhill Cranes and someone reported up to 20 of them, however I have on seen up to 10 at one time.  I saw none on Friday.

Other than the Harrier, Red Tail, Cooper’s or Sharp Shin just Mallards, Black Ducks and some Shovelers that is about it.  I did not see the Barn Owls and manager believes they have moved on.  She did say that she believes they fledged 3.

I have posted my 2 images of the Kestrel in my Flickr Page https://www.flickr.com/photos/118775923@N05/sets/ in the Avian Album and you’re welcome to check them out.

Doug