OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2014

From:
marys1000 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
marys1000 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2014 09:22:06 -0500
I was recently in MI and heard one calling at 4 in the morning. There
was no response and after about 10 15 minutes it stopped.

Here I know of several RTH nests an I'm always oogling them to see if a
GHO is hanging around.  But I don't know if they would do that during
the day?  These are all nests in bare deciduous trees (oaks).  Also the
ones I know of are still in use by the RTH's but they don't hang around
them this time of year.  How would a GHO know if a nest is abandoned or
not?

Marie, Dayton

------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 15:44:07 -0800
From: Dillon Nott <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Great Horned Owl
Breeding Season Everyone should know that Great Horned Owl are going to
be breeding soon, and their going to be more active. They use abandoned
crow,hawk and eagle nest as their nest as their own. Or if a cavity is
big enough, they'll use that too. They nest in January and February,
when snow is on the ground! Here's another fact, when a female Great
Horned lays on her eggs, with snow on the ground, she can
transfer/produce 98 degrees of warmth to her eggs! The chicks can take
about 30 days to get out of the nest. So just listen at 7:00PM or later
for them. I personally had more luck with them in the morning. Calling,
I think their more active at morning. Last year, I had one on a phone
pole for 5 straight days. Every time I left my house at 6:30 I the
morning, he/she was just sitting there on top of the same pole everyday.
One day I got to see him/her fly off the pole into the field catching a
mouse or vole. Just have a eye out for them for this upcoming New Year!
Go Bucks! Beat Bama! HappyEarly New Year.