OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2014

From:
Allen Chartier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen Chartier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2014 15:15:12 -0500
Ken,

When I started birding, more than 40 years ago, learning how to bird and
how to approach birds was passed along from more senior birders to those of
us who were anxious to learn. We went out on field trips, often through an
Audubon chapter, and had lots of time to talk about fieldcraft at monthly
meetings.

Much of this seems to be fading, as many local Audubon chapters have seen
declines in attendance at meetings, and field trips. It is very easy to
find out about birding on-line these days (I'm a former network
administrator, partly, so don't label me a Luddite :-), and it seems that
the face-time with other birders can be less than it used to be.

I don't know what the solution is, as having more birders is probably a
good thing, but having more birders that respect and revere birds is a much
better thing.

Probably the best thing I'll take away from your post, though, is "Bird
like a Trogon". I'd love to see that on a t-shirt!

Allen T. Chartier
Inkster, Michigan
Email: [log in to unmask]
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mihummingbirdguy/collections/