OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2014

Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2014 13:13:19 -0500
I had some time to bird the CVNP area, sometimes referred to as the Pinery area, near Brecksville this morning before getting started with my work day.  For those interested in seeing a Red-headed Woodpecker for the first time, or perhaps just because they are beautiful birds, this area offers great chances year-round.  To get to this area, park at Station Bridge Trailhead of the Towpath Trail and hike north up the CVNP railroad tracks into the swamp area that includes the large Bald Eagle nest that has produced so many young over the past few years.  Here is my eBird list.

Dec 3, 2014
Cuyahoga Valley NP--Station Rd. West (Cuyahoga Co.)
Traveling
1.5 miles
93 Minutes
Observers: 1
All birds reported? Yes
Comments:
Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.8

35 Canada Goose
23 Mallard
1 Hooded Merganser (male bird by itself sticking close to the far West shore of the swamp)
1 Red-tailed Hawk
2 Ring-billed Gull
2 Mourning Dove
5 Red-headed Woodpecker