OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2014

From:
Matthew Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2014 10:28:35 -0500
I think this makes my point … here are the parts that I think apply to the situation:

From the code of Ethics:
1. Promote the welfare of birds …
        …. exercise restraint and caution during Photography …
        … Keep well back from … important feeding sites …
                … In such sensitive areas, if there is a need for extended observation … try to use a blind …

So the guidelines we have tell us to exercise restraint and caution … and to keep “well back” from “important feeding sites” …. leaves a lot to personal interpretation on “restraint” and “important … feeding sites”.

I think everyone would say they exercise restraint and caution … and identifying sites is probably not best left to each individual.  :)

Seems like what has been called out as “bad” behavior in these posting relates to “loud talking” and “approaching to close” and flushing rare birds.  Loud talking is not covered … either is flushing a rare bird.  I guess “Keep well back from a feeding site” might help … but seems to miss the point?

Are their any other guidelines out there?

Thanks!
Matt