OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2014

Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2014 10:50:35 -0500
The ABA guidelines are indeed helpful, but seem to also be a bit too vague when one considers what is meant by harm.  It always strikes me that the code (I presume intentionally) fails to address concerns that some have with banding, the installation of cameras in proximity to nesting sites, and the methods of field biologists to gather very specific information on some species by literally entering nest sites and handling birds.  These, I think, are legitimate concerns that are worthy of discussion, along with the actions of both photographers and birders.

I also think that it is most helpful to identify the BEHAVIOR that is inappropriate and try to avoid personal attacks.  Like all people, I struggle with approaching problems this way, but if we all try a bit harder to do so maybe these things will not feel so personal and get escalated.  It’s kind of a bummer, folks.

I’ve said it here before; when I was new to this I made many mistakes in what can only be called harassing birds that I wanted to photograph.  My love for this thing we do has tempered that and I agree with the previous statement made by a photographer that when taking a photo of a bird what makes them the most effective is when we see the subject doing what it does as naturally as possible.  A long-eared owl that is stretched out and on alert to the presence of a photographer is not capturing that well.  On the other hand, when I recently found an Eastern Screech Owl roosting, it kept an eye on me and some folks that were with me.  I consider that to be perfectly normal behavior and not necessarily a sign that the bird was being tormented by our presence.  Last night, I showed a friend that same bird from more than 75 yds. away across a big area with my scope, yet this bird seemed fully aware of our presence.  One also must consider the entire context of a situation.  If I am strolling down the boardwalk in the CVNP and a Green Heron or a Merlin is 20’ away, should I stop what I am doing and turn around?  Of course not!  100 bikes and runners will go by in the next hour utterly oblivious to the bird’s presence.  Context matters.

Maybe there needs to be a bit of a 'continental birding congress' in which these kinds of challenges are addressed on a broader, behavior-based scale.  Consider, though, that this opens up the can of worms about what is or is not harmful to birds.  A bird that is free to fly away can choose to do so.  One that is in the hand cannot.

Just my two bits as a rookie…

Jon Cefus
Cuyahoga Falls