OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2014

From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2014 19:53:43 -0500
Dick Hoopes saw one bird Monday evening in very poor light.  We arrived this
morning at 6:45am in hopes of confirming his LIFE bird.  It appeared about
7:00am but only hunted a short while before going to ground and staying
there.  The light was too poor for pictures.  We came back this afternoon
and were rewarded with 3 birds about 5:00pm.  Two birds were very visible
for about 15 minutes and a third made a brief appearance to the SE.  They
were seen all around the pavilion - north, west, south and east.  Their
acrobatics are amazing!

The picnic pavilion is the best spot to see them as they hunt the entire
prairie.  There are people who regularly use the trails for exercise and dog
walking but they are few and the birds did not seem to mind their walking.
They would just move to another part of the meadow.

In recent years these birds have made a one day appearance  but they have
now been observed 3 times in 24 hours.  PLEASE TRY TO STAY AROUND THE
PAVILION TO OBSERVE THEM.   IT SEEMS TO ACT LIKE A BLIND AND THEY MOVE
FREELY ALL AROUND.  IF WE DO THIS THEY JUST MIGHT STAY AROUND AND GIVE MANY
PEOPLE THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE A SHORT-EARED OWL IN GEAUGA COUNTY.

The light makes photography difficult.  I took about 30 pictures and only a
few were even passable - most looked ethereal!  You can go this link to see
them https://www.flickr.com/photos/85567104@N05/.

Please don't even  try flash photography as the distances are too great to
be effective and it may cause the birds to leave.

Matt Valencic

Geauga County