OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2014

Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2014 02:03:09 +0000
I saw the Butler County SNOWY OWL between approximately 4:30-5pm.  It was in a harvested soybean field south of Tylersville Rd, east of Seward Rd and west of a housing development.  It was pretty far out, so my phone-scoped photos are horrible.  After viewing it from the farm gate on Seward (scope not required, but helpful) we drove around through the housing development off Smith Rd (N on Seward to Tylersville, east on Tylersville past the farm and the storage unit place, and take the first right onto Smith.  There is a walking trail called Villages of Providence Trail that encircles the housing development. We received permission from some homeowners to walk through their yards to access the walking trail and view the owl.  I shared scope views with several residents. They were thrilled to see the rare visitor.

Sharing Virginia Wilson's report from Cincinnati Birders Facebook group:
"Around 4:30 it was in the large wide open field south just south of Tylersville on the east side of the road. It was a fairly long distance away and without a bunch of birders looking, it would have been nearly impossible to locate. It gave us a couple of shows of flight as the daylight was quickly fading. After the sun had set it flew further south and landed near the top of a sycamore tree (where there is a grouping of 3 sycamores).

The roosting location in the sycamore tree was behind the first house (farm & house) on the left, if coming south on Seward past Tylersville (beyond the large field.) Approx 6:15 p.m."

This location is very close to the Butler County Regional Airport.  Knowing the propensity for Snowy Owls to favor airports, if the bird goes missing from this field, I would suggest trying the airport.

Kathi Hutton
SW Ohio