OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2014

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2014 18:57:19 -0500
I spent a few hours this morning visiting spots along the Scioto River gorge in Dublin, including Kiwanis Park, O'Shaughnessy Dam, Twin Lake Preserve, and Coventry Park.  Water level was very low, so low that water wasn't flowing over the dam.  A large ice shelf covered the first 1/4 mile of O'Shaughnessy Reservoir above the dam, providing a nice loafing area for 200+ gulls, almost all Ring-billed.  Bush & tree fruits along this stretch of river seem devastated, and fruit-eating birds were scarce.  Highlight included

Waterfowl- no highlights- nothing but Mallards
Herons - Great Blues were scattered all along the low river, with the high being 12 below the dam
Gulls - 200+ Ring-bills and a few Herring were on the ice above the dam
BaldEagle - a juvenile was soaring around the dam, scaring gulls and mallards
Other Raptors - Red-tails were in the woods at many spot, while a Sharp-shinned was harassing Starlings near Kiwanis
Pileated Woodpecker - 1 was at Kozcuiscko Park, north of I-270
BrownCreepers - good numbers here, with 1-2 at most stops
Winter Wrens - 1 was at Kiwanis, while 2 were at Twin Lakes
E.Bluebird - no big #s, but singles were at the dam and Twin Lakes
Yellow-rumped Warblers - 1-2 were at Twin Lakes, the only ones along this stretch
Sparrows - low #s at all sites; even Kiwanis had only a few White-throats & Songs