OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2014

From:
Ned Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ned Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2014 22:58:33 -0500
It was a slow day on Sunday, despite good weather. We found 84 species,
which is several below our average in recent years. We did well with
waterfowl, finding 16 species, including record numbers of Gadwall (211),
Green-winged Teal (66) and Redhead (11), plus a single Lesser Scaup, which
hasn't been seen for at least five years.

We also found two Peregrine Falcons, which resulted in one Starling being
subtracted from the count. But we missed Merlin for the first time in
several years.

Passerines were down, as we missed Winter Wren, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Brown
Thrasher, Cedar Waxwing, Purple Finch, and Common Grackle. Numbers of most
other species were also down.

--
Ned Keller