OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2014

From:
Casey Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Casey Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2014 16:46:26 -0500
Hi All,
I've been following the discussion of ethics in birders and photographers with some interest, and was hesitant to weigh-in on the subject, but felt that I could, hopefully, add some perspective.
I use to think that the issue was a lack of ethics, but after careful consideration I don't think anyone intentionally acts unethically (there are always exceptions, but I hope they are few and far between).
I think the issue is a lack of knowledge and understanding.  There are more photographers than ever now as digital cameras have become prolific in our daily lives in everything from our phones, tablets, laptops, and more affordable digital SLR cameras and big lenses, and digi-scoping.  The camera has become a standard piece of birding equipment right alongside the field guide and the pair of binoculars.
Couple this proliferation of cameras with a major influx of new nature watchers who are coming to birding, mothing, dragonflying (sp?), etc. through more non-traditional routes like social media (Facebook, Twitter, Blogs, etc.).
Many of us learned our birding skills and behaviors from mentors that were willing to take us out and teach us what to look for and how to behave around birds and other wildlife.  Whether it was going out and birding with a local Audubon Chapter field trip leader, or a more one-on-one mentor, or a more formalized ornithology class; knowledge and skill was passed down through first-hand field experience.  Many of the new nature watchers, who are coming to the field via the technology outlets, are lacking this mentor-ship and guidance.  As a result they don't know how to behave around birds, and they're anxious to get photos of the birds they're seeing without consideration of how they're impacting those birds, or affecting other observers around them.
Unfortunately, charismatic species that receive a lot of media attention, like Snowy Owls, are going to be subject to receive more attention from these new observers/photographers than other species.
My recommendation is that if you have the opportunity, take a new observer under your wing and mentor them.  If you see someone doing something questionable, give them the benefit of the doubt, don't jump on them, and try to explain the situation to them.  Also try to point them to a local Audubon chapter or birding club where they can get some further mentoring.  I know, first-hand, that this doesn't always work and it can be infuriating when you see a repeat offender, but I think if we can spend more time promoting positive behaviors than blaming we'll go a lot further at resolving this issue.  Likewise, it would be good if managers and participants on social media birding groups would help promote positive behaviors when you post a bird observation to one of those groups.
I do apologize that this does not include a bird observation, but I think it's necessary to include this kind of extra information for newcomers to Ohio's birding community.  Hopefully, more dialogue like this will help improve bird-human encounters in the future.
Thanks,
Casey Tuckerhttp://tuckercasey.wix.com/aacri-birds