OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2015

From:
Blake Mathys <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Blake Mathys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2015 07:06:33 -0500

A joint Union County Bird Club/Ohio Dominican Birding Club trip to Killdeer Plains was attended by 13 people yesterday. It was a productive day. We started at 12:30 and stayed until dusk. Highlights were:

Red-shouldered Hawk: 1 young bird flew directly over our initial meeting spot at the area headquarters
Rough-legged Hawk: Many individuals of both color morphs various places
Great Horned Owl: Heard while visiting secondary pine grove on TH-108; seemed to be in tree line to west
Barred Owl: 1 in main owl pines on CH-71; very high in tree, in southeast corner
Short-eared Owl: About 3 seen at dusk while looking east from TH-108. Another group from Cincinnati reported many more (17 or 18) from the same location, also at dusk but a few minutes before us.
Northern Shrike: 1 discovered at dusk while walking back to road from secondary pine grove on TH-108. Perched at very top of tall tree, and visible from TH-108.
White-crowned Sparrow: 1 at feeders at Area Headquarters
Eastern Meadowlark: a group of 5 seen at Sportsmen's Center; were in parking lot at first, then flew north

No Snow Buntings or longspurs seen despite looking for them at Washburn Road; we saw about 10 Horned Larks there.

Full eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S21625990

Blake Mathys