OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2015

From:
Eric Elvert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Elvert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2015 19:25:57 -0500
Nows the time to head down to the rivers in Dayton or anywhere in ohio. With the freezing temps to continue for the next few days at least in my neck of the woods all of the big bodies of water are completely frozen. So all of the waterfowl are making their way to the river. I checked the west carrollton dam on hydraulic rd, e river rd, carillon park, veterans blvd and deeds/island park in dayton. Besides the 1000's of gulls flooding the river these days we have quite an amazing number of ducks and geese up and down the river. Diving ducks were at all of the locations today with west carrollton dam being the hot spot (below the dam). Redhead, common GoldenEye, canvasback, common merge and hooded mergs, G/L scaup and ring necked ducks. As far as geese there were 1000's of cans and I only managed 2 cacklers but I wouldn't be surprised if there were greater whites and snow geese around somewhere. So like I said nows the time to get out to your local rivers and find something good like scoters, long tailed duck or red necked grebes. And its probably a long shot but keep your eyes peeled and look carefully through all those GoldenEye's for a dare I say Barrows GoldenEye. All you need to do is get out and look, you never know what you might kick up.
Bird On!!!

Eric Elvert
Dayton oh