OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2015

From:
Dave Horn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Horn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2015 09:08:41 -0500
Hello Ohio Birders,

you are counting.  The ABA rules for counting birds toward ones total for
ABA Area or state life and year lists are very specific: the bird must be
alive and unrestrained.  But data are data, and the late long-tailed duck as
present in the area.  In my case I maintain "lists" by a few ABA categories
(ABA area life, states in which I've lived, and Ohio year) and I also keep
"notes" on what I've observed, including birds and other things (mostly
insects).  So dead birds and inconclusive identifications are in my notes.
(I extracted a dead common ground-dove from a car radiator grille in
Massachusetts once, and years ago I thought  I heard a certain extinct
woodpecker in Louisiana.  Both are in my notes but not on my lists.)

Bird on!

Dave Horn
Columbus and Worcester (MA)