OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2015

From:
Blake Mathys <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Blake Mathys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2015 15:22:41 -0500
As I finished teaching my Ecology class at Ohio Dominican this morning, one of our Public Safety officers came in and said there was a dead hawk on campus. They had just seen it while driving around, so he and I walked over to where it was. As we were getting close to a grove of pine trees, I mentioned to him that we had found a Barred Owl there in December (which I reported to this list), and then I looked down and realized that the reported dead bird was in fact a Barred Owl, and probably the same owl we had seen. There were no obvious signs of trauma, it was on its back in the snow, and didn't seem to have been dead very long. It maybe seemed a little thin, but we'll know more about its condition when it's prepared as a specimen to add to our teaching collection. A sad find, but hopefully some good can come out of it through using it for future education of students.

Blake Mathys

Blake Mathys, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor of Environmental Science

Ohio Dominican University

Office: Sansbury Hall 213

Office Phone: (614) 251-4527

http://blakemathys.com/campusbarred.html