OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2015

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2015 14:59:58 -0500
I made several stops around this huge MetroPark south of Columbus and found a tiny loosening of winter's grip.  Sure, the temperature was still abysmal, but lots of birds were singing, woodpeckers were drumming, and both BuzzardsRoost Lake and one of the wetland ponds had some open water that had attracted migrant ducks.  I stopped at the Shady Grove/5-Oaks trails, Buzzardsroost Lake, and the Slate Run wetlands, and here are the notables:

Canvasbacks - 2 were at Buzzardsroost Lake (BRL), while 3 were at the wetland
Redheads - 15 were at BRL, while 55 were at the wetland (crammed into a small patch of unfrozen water on one of the ponds)
Lesser Scaup - 2 were at the wetlands
Ring-necked Duck - 1 male was with the throng at the wetlands
Red-shouldered Hawk - 1 was calling near Buzzardsroost Lake
Red-tailed Hawks - fairly widespread, with singles at all sites, and 2 at the wetland and another 2 along Winchester Pike
Pileated Woodpecker - 1 was drumming along the 5-Oaks trail, while another was just foraging
BrownCreepers - 2 were along the 5-Oaks trail
Yellow-rumped Warbler - at least 6 were at different spots along the 5-Oaks Trail
Tree Sparrows - scads, with 15+ at BRL feeders, topped at 25 at the wetland feeder
Field Sparrow - 1 was with the birds at the BRL feeder back by the picnic shelter
Chipping Sparrows - I couldn't find them, but a few were reported at the wetland feeder in the morning
White-crowned Sparrows - 5 were around the wetland feeder
White-throated Sparrows - 15 were at the BRL feeders, while another 15 were at the wetland feeders