OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2015

From:
Dillon Nott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dillon Nott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2015 08:15:13 -0800
I had a pretty successful weekend up at Indian Lake. Ducks and Geese were
taking up most of the water. Gulls were scare, no Mergansers seen.

There was 2 very large holes in the ice by McDonald's inRussell's Point,
which had:

Canada Geese: 1384
Mallard: 735
Redhead: 12
Canvasback: 10
Common Golden eye: 2
American Black Duck: 1
Ring Billed Gull: 4
Mute Swan: 26
Tundra Swan??: 2
Osprey: 1 ( at first I thought it was a Harrier, but was straight on wing
and smaller than a Eagle.)
Great Blue Heron: 3
Red Tailed Hawk: 2
Kestrel: 4
There was a mystery duck there aswell, it was all black, with a white
breast, any thoughts?

Pew Island was quiet, only hosting:
Downy Woodpecker: 2
Hairy Woodpecker: 1
Horned Lark: 2
Goldfinch: 4

Finally we ended the day at  Indian Lake State Park, on the Cherokee trail.

Cardinals: 3
Titmouse: 5
Chickadee: 4
Downy Woodpecker: 1
Crow: 4
Red Tailed Hawk: 1
Carolina Wren: 3
I hoped of seeing a Peregrine this weekend, but no luck.