OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2015

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2015 20:40:31 -0500
I hiked around Highbanks MetroPark (after first warning up in the Nature Center) to see how birds there adapted to the descending temperatures.  There were lots of birds around the Nature Center feeders, and I had reason to wonder if there would be anything out on the frozen trails.  I needn't have worried: there were even more birds foraging in the ravines, mostly working the south-facing slopes that were sun-flecked and out of the wind. Even Gray Squirrels were rooting around in this relatively warm micro-habitat; there was enough activity there that a hunting Red-tailed Hawk was attracted to the area. Notable species in a little over an hour included:

Pileated Woodpeckers - a pair was hanging around the Nature Center, with one bird even stopping at the suet feeder
N.Flickers - at least 5 were around in the ravines
Tufted Titmice - only 2 were around the feeders, but an additional 14+ were at different areas in the ravines
White-br.Nuthatches - only 2-3 were at the feeders, but 5-6 were down in the ravines
E.Bluebirds - two different flocks of 6 birds each were in 2 different ravines
Yellow-rumped Warblers - at least 2 were in the ravines
Tree Sparrows - 6+ were hanging around the Nature Center feeders
White-throated Sparrows - 8-10 were at the Nature Center feeders, but none were noted in the ravines.
Juncos - 8-10 were at the feeders, and another 10+ were around the ravines