OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2015

From:
Jay Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2015 20:44:26 -0500
The two Red-necked Grebes were still present this afternoon between 4:00 to
about 5:00 pm.  Met Eric Elvert there, who found and reported them there
this morning in the same location, and he showed me where the grebes were
along the western shore of the lake opposite the restrooms.  Most of the
waterfowl were close to the western shore apparently to escape the icy
blasts of wind.  In addition to the RN Grebes, there were 11 Common
Mergansers, mostly pairs of m + f, one drake Red-breasted Merganser, 8
Common Golden-eyes , 4 Horned Grebes, one Pied-billed Grebe and about 8
Mallards.  Thanks to Eric for reporting these RN Grebes on OhioBirds.
For those who may try to chase these birds, try very soon.  The open water,
which is about half of the lake area, is likely to freeze very quickly
tonight and tomorrow night with single digit lows predicted and even colder
weather for Sunday.
Jay