OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2015

From:
Scott Pendleton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Pendleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2015 07:52:59 -0500
For Ohio birders that want Ohio birds, the bird has mostly been seen on the WV side of the river. Although Ryan had it a Warrenton Inlet (Rayland Marina) which is firmly in Ohio. The border is always a matter of debate when birding the river. The legal border was set before dams and is therefore not the bank in many places. In this area it is in the middle of the river at Warrenton and the second lock at Pike Island. Ebird sets it at the bank for data entry purposes and I have no idea where a birds record committee will put it. The reality is the birds don't care.

Ryan and Jay Buckelew first found the gull on Wednesday. His photos and descriptions are intriguing but we need better ones with better cameras for a definitive ID. A possible kelp gull was seen and photographed near Pittsburgh several week back.

There are apparently many many gulls, a portion of them tend to disperse around 9-9:30 and begin returning at 3. They are dispersing to many places, some go down river to Martins Ferry and Wheeling, some to the Highlands where Cabelas is located and I have been told there is a land fill in that area as well (WV).
For the Fish Crows, I have had them on the river at Newell (northern Panhandle on WV side) and heard them at the Highlands in early November. So they are a distinct possibility.