OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2015

From:
Dan Best <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2015 18:11:23 -0500
I was lucky enough to witness a N. shrike yack up a pellet a few years ago in Newbury Twp., Geauga County.  I had paused on my way to work, having spotted that distinct horizontal perching profile at a drive-by.  Stopped and put the binoc's on it.  Saw it do exactly what Blake documented with his camera.  Marked the tree in my mind, returned after work, ventured out into the thicket and found the pellet.  About an inch long, like a mini-owl pellet.  A prize possession.

Dan Best