OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2015

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2015 18:04:23 -0500
I looked for open water along the Scioto River in Columbus, starting at Berliner Park & the Greenlawn Dam and working upstream to Griggs dam.  Sizeable open water stretches were at Berliner, Long St. Dam, Marble Cliff, and below Griggs dam.  All held some waterfowl & gulls, but the interesting waterfowl were mostly at the upper end, around Marble Cliff & Griggs.  Oddly enough, I could find no cormorants or grebes, which have been consistent winter birds along this stretch of the river.  Notables included:

Canada Geese - flocks everywhere, with the largest some 600 along the river below Griggs Dam.  No Cackling that I could find
Mallards - small groups everywhere, again with the largest # (500+) below Griggs
BlackDucks - small #s at Marble Cliff & below Griggs
Canvasbacks - a pair at Long St, Dam were upstaged by 10 at Marble Cliff and another 4 at Griggs
Redheads - sizeable flocks at Marble Cliff (60+) and Griggs (40+)
Lesser Scaup - only 3, with the mixed flock at Marble Cliff
Ring-necked Ducks - 120 along the river at Marble Cliff, plus another 25 at Griggs
Bufflehead - the only 4 were in the river quite a way below Griggs dam
CommonGoldeneye - 3 at Long St., 8 at Marble Cliff, and another 7 below Griggs
CommonMergansers - 6 were with the throng at MarbleCLiff, and another 8 were in river below Griggs Dam
HoodedMergansers - small groups at all locations, topped by 20+ at Berliner and 25+ at Marble Cliff
GreatBlueHerons - 9 were in a sunny protected spot at Berliner, while 3 more were at Marble Cliff
Gulls - flocks of Ring-bills at many locations, led by 120+ at both Scioto Audubon and along the downtown Scioto

Landbirds were scarce in the bitter cold, but did include among the expected flock birds a Sharp-shinned Hawk at Long St. Dam, BrownCreepers at many locations, White-throated Sparrow flocks at Berliner and Scioto Audubon, and Tree Sparrows in Berliner Park (at the field along the south bikepath)