OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2015

From:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2015 21:06:27 -0500
The Columbus Audubon field trip to Killdeer Plains today did quite nicely
in spite of bone-numbing cold. A few highlights:

Rough-legged Hawks were numerous and widespread, both dark and light
phases. Northern Harriers were here and there, plenty of Red-tailed Hawks,
a couple of America Kestrels, and a pair of Bald Eagles already setting up
housekeeping on the nest easily seen from TH-108 just south of CH-71.

Horned Larks were out in force along Washburn Rd, but no Longspurs or
Buntings.  Tree Sparrows were common everywhere. We found a Short-eared Owl
sitting in the snowy field along the road in broad daylight! Another birder
reported a Northern Shrike on CH-68 just west of Washburn, but we were
unable to find it.

We did find a Saw-whet Owl in one of the smaller pine trees just outside
the old owl grove on CH-71. Short-eared Owls were the highlight, though: in
addition to the one in mid-afternoon along Washburn Rd, a group of at least
five took to the air just before dusk, while we still had excellent light,
along CH-71 west of CH-115.

Bill Heck
Columbus Audubon