OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2015

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2015 11:50:07 -0500
Sandy Tkach and I conducted the monthly survey yesterday.  Started the
count at minus 5 but ended at plus 10 degrees!!  This with 12+inches of
snow on the ground.  THis was the 17th year of the February survey.  We
missed 2000 because I couldn't get to the island that month.  The February
average is 40 species and 7175 individuals.  We missed both marks this
year.  We had 36 species and 4238 individuals.  We did add a new February
species - Turkey Vulture.  At least one of the three has survived the
winter on Kelleys.  February total species over 17 years is 89 species.
The high count was 49 species in 2009 and the low was 29 species in 2003.

Tundra Swan - 11
Canvasback - 75
Redhead - 14
Greater Scaup - 1565
Scaup species? - 550
Common Goldeneye - 489
Common Merganser - 260
Duck species? - 650
Turkey Vulture - 1
Bald Eagle - 23
Sharp-shinned Hawk - *
Cooper's Hawk - 1
Red-tailed Hawk - 3
Herring Gull - 38
Great Black-backed Gull - 5
Eastern Screech-Owl - 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 4
Downy Woodpecker - 51
Northern Flicker - 12
Blue Jay -1
American Crow - 55
Black-capped Chickadee - 96
White-breasted Nuthatch -1
Brown Creeper - 2
Winter Wren - 1
Carolina Wren - 5
Hermit Thrush - 20
American Robin - 67
European Starling - 47
Cedar Waxwing - 36
Yellow-rumped (Myrtle) Warbler - 7
American Tree Sparrow
Song Sparrow - 1
Swamp Sparrow - 1
White-throated Sparrow - 6
Dark-eyed (Slate-colored) Junco - 21
Northern Cardinal - 59
House Finch - 2
American Goldfinch - *
House Sparrow - 49

36 Species plus two (*) observed on the island but not on route
4238 indivudals

--
H. Thomas Bartlett
Tiffin, Ohio