OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2015

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2015 14:30:35 -0500
I struggled to stand steady in the gale. One hand, unbidden, went to my
neck for the little old leather bag I always carry there on a lanyard.
Inside, for luck, is the smooth grey gizzard-stone of a Great Auk, a
gift to my great-grandfather from fellow Irishman Sir Ernest Shackleton,
whom he had taught to ski after they had gone up to Dulwich College.  As
the squall advanced over the lake’s tossing waves, I repositioned my
hand to shield from snow the beacon on my experimental eBird Binocular;
it would not do to have a scrambled signal on this occasion.  I tried to
keep the distant black-and-white dot in the field of view in the gusty
wind.  No problem: this instrument, still in development, is capable of
automatically finding and instantly identifying rare birds in any field
of view while sending a confirmatory image and coordinates to eBird
Central.  It also has filters which will count, then erase from the
field of view, all local commoner species, for example in Ohio reducing
one’s view of a huge flock mostly of ring-billed and herring gulls to
any mew or Heermann’s gulls, etc., that might be present. Already a
readout was visible on the viewfinder---PAAU, Hawaiian for parakeet
auklet--a first record for Ohio!  It was more than the frigid wind that
made my hands tingle anew.  I reminded myself that soon arrays of
microcameras with internet links will keep track of birds across the
continent, all without requiring actual observers to head out into
actual weather.  I hurried for a mug of warm grog in my e-car, where I
skipped through the camera images and confirmed records of my find on
the internet and made sure the auklet had been added to my online Ohio list.
Bill Whan
Columbus