OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2015

Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 2015 08:12:15 -0400
What a cross current of avians visible yesterday at Pick Ponds

Osprey was adding sticks to platform in Arrowhead Marsh.  Looked small so I assume it was a male.
I surmise and immature Bald Eagle (using 600mm telephoto) that was soaring above the SW tree line of Arrowhead.  Image was not very good but sure looks to have the markings of an immature.
Northern Harrier working a ditch right up the center of Arrowhead
Numerous ducks including Red Heads, Ring Necks, a Canvas Back a flight of 7 Pintails soaring over head near the blind as a group of Mergazers
Great Blue Heron working the northern marsh of Arrowhead near Glacier Ridge picnic area
The rookery to the south of Ellis Pond is about have occupied as I counted 11 nests with Herons in them.
Looked to be about a dozen Hooded Mergansers in Blue Wing Pond all moving together making it a little hard to be sure I had right count.
Mallards were hiding in the tall grass and lots of Canadians all over the place.

Did not see the kestrel’s or Barn Owl nor Sandhill Cranes yet but here is hoping.   There were many sparrows singing along with a small number of red wing black birds sounding off.  Also great to hear were the peepers in the water areas.

Doug Askew