OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2015

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 2015 20:37:23 -0400
I stopped at this reservoir northwest of Columbus looking for waterfowl; the reservoir here is almost ice-free and had limited waterfowl, but early migrant landbirds made the afternoon more interesting.  I stopped at Pylon Point (a peninsula near the north end of the reservoir with a power line pylon), the Home Rd bridge area, Twin Lakes, and the O'Shaughnessy Dam.  Notables included:

Tundra Swan - a single bird was at Pylon point, but was by itself and looking sickly
Lesser Scaup - singles at several spots, but a flock of 65+ was in the bay above the dam
Buffleheads - 10 were in the bay above the dam
Com.Mergansers - 3 males & 2 females were at Twin Lakes
Ruddy Ducks - pairs were at several spots
Cormorants - small numbers at many places, topped by 15+ at the far north end of the reservoir
Grebes - Pied-bills & Horned at several locations
Turkey Vultures- small #s everywhere, but the big flock was 50 roosting below the dam
Red-shouldered Hawk - an adult was hunting in the forest at Twin Lakes
Pileated Woodpecker - a single bird was foraging in the woods below the dam
E.Phoebe - 1 was foraging in the yards south of Twin Lakes
Tree Swallows - a flock of 60+ was foraging over the far north end of the reservoir, visible from Pylon point
Fox Sparrow - 1 red form, likely a migrant, was at Pylon Point
Red-winged Blackbirds - small numbers everywhere